Reid-Walters Funeral Home is a successor of Reid Funeral Home which was established in 1928 by Lewis H. Reid.The original location was on East Main Street in Earlington in the ground floor of the Victory Building.The business was later moved to another location on East Main Street and finally moved to another location at 302 East Farren Avenue. In 1933, Hubert Reid (Lewis H. Reidís Son) joined the firm as the General Manager.
Lewis Elmo Reid (Lewis H. Reidís son) managed a branch operation at Mortons Gap for a number of years as well as assisting Lewis H. and Hubert in Earlington.
Lewis H. Reid died in 1958.Hubert and Elmo and Hubertís wife, Edith Price Reid, continued operation of the business until 1969.In 1969, John L. Walters purchased Elmo Reidís third of the partnership when Elmo went into semi-retirement.The business then became Reid Funeral Home, Inc.
In 1972, John L. and his wife Patricia H. Walters, purchased the majority of stock from Hubert and Edith and the business was renamed Reid-Walters Funeral Home, Inc.Patrick S. Walters, Johnís brother, came to work in the firm in 1974.In 1976, Hubert Reid suffered a debilitating stroke which forced his retirement.Prior to this, he had served as Coroner in Hopkins County from 1958-1966.He also served as Hopkins County Judge from 1966-1970.Edith Price Reid continued to participate in the business until 1984.At her retirement, Lisa Walters Solise (John L. and Patricia H. Waltersí daughter) joined the business.In 1985, John L. Walters was elected Coroner of Hopkins County.He remained in that position until 2006.The funeral home was then purchased from John L. Walters in January of 2005, upon his retirement by Chip Tomblinson.
Staff: Chip Tomblinson, Dennis Mayfield, Patrick Walters, Donna Jo Mayfield